Thursday, August 21, 2008

Phew!

What a busy busy few weeks! I am sure that many of you might have thought I have just given up on the blog, but I assure you that this is not the case. There are just so many things that are tied into the beginning of my new life that I have barely had the time to catch my breath. I will try to share with you the highlights of the whirlwind that has been my last few weeks.

1) I closed on my condo. Yes, I am finally a homeowner. In this time of housing market uncertainty with banks, mortgage companies, and title companies scrutinizing each and every application with a fine toothed comb, I was able to convince them that I was a good risk. Of course, the closing was not without its share of anxiety. I had to come up with an extra 5% down payment within 2 weeks of the closing. If that were not enough, the day of the closing almost became the day that was NOT the closing. So there I was, sitting at Chicago Title Company with my agent, my attorney, and my mortgage broker signing away my life. The closing was going along very smoothly until the title agent asked about the certificate that brought me in compliance with the new Illinois Anti-Predatory Lending law that went into effect the month before. The minute my mortgage broker said "huh?", I started sweating. You see, I had already reserved the movers and the freight elevator for a Monday move, and here it was, Friday, and I might not close until Monday night. Panic set in, and I felt a little angry and frustrated. I had jumped through a LOT of hoops just to get to this point, and I could not believe that a little bit of red tape (a form that needed to be filled out by computer) would be the thing that threw a wrench in the works. Thankfully, the title agent was amazing. Not only did he stay with the closing throughout the next 5 hours (I was told to go home and wait), but he also stayed later than 6 PM on a Friday because he, too, recognized that this was not my fault and I should not be penalized for a new law whose implementation NO ONE understands. I ended up closing. On Friday. During this period of uncertainty, I became more aware of how much I wanted my new place, and I was glad that, by the end of 08-08-08, I was a new homeowner.

2. Moving. Having concluded the closing drama, I spent the next 2 days packing for the move. I expected the movers to be ready by 10 AM and be down at the new place by 1 PM (when I had reserved the freight elevator). Instead, I received a call at 7:30 (!) the next morning, with the movers telling me that they were outside. They had the truck loaded up by 9:30 and were on the way to my place by 10. We waited out another set of people who were moving in, but the movers started up again and completed the move by 1:30 PM. I was finally in my new place, surrounded by boxes, and utterly exhausted. Of course, the gas alarm was beeping every 30 seconds thanks to a low battery (and I did not have a ladder tall enough to reach it-my new place is a loft). The contractors had also failed to light the hot water heater, so I went back to the old place to shower. After moving day, I really needed one. Still, it was nice to spend my first night in my new place. With all of the boxes surrounding me, it should come as no surprise that I started with all of my electronics. A man's gotta be able to play Guitar Hero, right? The place is looking pretty good. Anonymous Hottie continued her design efforts by introducing me to her furniture guy. A major purchase is in the offing. At least I had enough furniture to entertain my parents. After all, they were coming into town for my brother's wedding on Thursday and would be staying with me on Thursday night. EGADS!!!!! At least it forced me to get the place habitable for guests. My parents loved the place and declared that I had done well (and I basked in the afterglow of THAT comment).

3. My Brother's Wedding. Many of you know of the drama that has surrounded my brother's wedding. There has been a little animosity on both sides (well, OK, mostly the GROOM's side of the family), but my folks were there for my brother, and my brother was great in getting them there. After spending Thursday night in my place, all of us went to stay at the wedding hotel in Itasca. My brother had arranged for suites at the Westin there, the site of the wedding. There, in a large tent on the Westin grounds, I watched my brother get married in a traditional (2 hours long!) Hindu ceremony. Of course, my brother being my brother, he decided to make a substitution to the tradition of the groom riding in on a horse. He decorated his BMW motorcycle with the headdress reserved for the ceremonial horse and rode it, with his best man and groomsmen surrounding him, to the ceremony. After all, he reasoned, why settle for one horse when you can have 90 (horsepower)? So I was one of the groomesmen and was dressed in traditional Indian garb for the ceremony. The unfortunate thing was that traditional Indian garb is VERY SIMILAR to traditional Muslim garb, and there was an Orthodox Jewish wedding that was occurring at the very same venue after our service. I can only imagine the feelings of concernation among the assembled members of Jewish society at the site of so many people dressed as we were.

So the wedding and the pictures went off without a hitch, and it was now time to get ready for the reception. I was exhausted, but I was looking forward to the reception. After all, I had no responsibilities except to look after my folks. This was also the reason my sister-in-law told me not to bring a date. Oh well. All of the groomsmen looked replendent in their back suits and red ties as we marched in with the bridesmaids. The food at the cocktail hour was excellent, and I was settling back for an enjoyable evening when I saw the emcee, my sister-in-law's cousin, approaching our table.

"So you are set for your speech, right?" he asked.
"Yes," I replied confidently. "Wait, what?"
"The bride's side has 4 speakers and the groom's side has 3," he replied. "Your brother said that his best man, you, and another member of his wedding party are giving speeches."
"Oh, ok." I responded. Then, "wait, what?"

Right about that time, the first of the speeches started, and the salad course was beginning. I had 5 speeches worth of time to think about what I would say. I paid attention to the speeches and took in what was working with the crowd and what was not working. Then, with no rehearsal and no true outline of what I would say, I was called to the floor. Thanks to the stress of the occasion + a few glasses of wine, I was able to deliver a speech that was probably better than something I might have agonized over. I was proud of myself, but I was also grateful that my brother and sister-in-law seemed to really like it. I also wanted to throttle my brother for putting me in that situation, but that's just him.

I think that my favorite part of the wedding had to be the post reception party. My brother, his bride, and a few close family members and friends retired to one of the suites for some wine, pizza, and Olympics coverage. I went to sleep at 4 and was awoken by my Mom's phone call at 8:30. Some things never change.

4. Recovery. The rest of the week was recovery and more unpacking. I now am the proud possessor of an HD-DVR + the NFL Sunday Ticket, courtesy of Direct TV. I also realized the benefits of living 3 blocks away from Eddie and Anonymous Hottie. We were able to hang out on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday, Eddie and I assembled his new grill (cue manly music), and he, HASWOE, and I met Anonymous Hottie and another friend out for a late dinner. The next morning, I went over to Eddie's again to watch for furniture delivery from AH's furniture store (well, she doesn't OWN it, but all of us were turned onto it because of her), and Eddie and I dined on sandwiches from an AMAZING new Italian Deli in my new neighborhood. I can already see that living so close to so many of my friends is going to be a wonderful experience. And Eddie, I am not just saying that because you let me mooch off of your internet service. On Wednesday, I flew home to Virginia for some R & R, as work (for real) begins the day after Labor Day.

I hope that you all are having a pleasant summer. I cannot believe that it is almost over. I only hope that the rest of the year will be as fun.

No comments: