Thursday, October 27, 2005

GO SOX!

Yes, there is a bandwagon and I jumped on it. Most of you know that I am NOT a baseball fan. I think that the season is too long, the players are too coddled, and the games are too long. At the same time, I can appreciate the jolt of electricity that the White Sox World Series win provides for the city of Chicago. Here in Chicago, we have gone through the usual skipping of autumn and it is now the beginning of the 10 month winter. The Sox have not won a World Series since Walt Disney was in high school 88 years ago (literally, I saw the graphic). Although I am not a baseball fan, I can appreciate the accomplishment and am happy for my friends who are Sox fans. Tomorrow morning, there will be a lot of bleary eyed Chicagoans making their way to work, but all of them will have a smile on their face because their team is a world champion.

Most of the rest of the last 2 weeks has been a never-ending cycle of work. I have just completed a major legal writing assignment (one that will be worth almost ½ of my final grade), and I am tired. At the same time, I feel pretty good about how the weeks are going. I am gaining a better understanding of the law every day and am feeling more comfortable volunteering in class. I am able to get through the reading at a faster clip than before, and I am finding myself with small bits of free time. My friend Aaron came to visit last weekend, and we attended a Chicago Bears football team. Of course, I was stressing about the work that I was not doing, but here it is Wednesday and I have already caught up. I am not stressed even though I have just a month of classes left. Thanks to my friends and family, especially my brother and my roommate, I have been able to keep a proper perspective and not stress out too much. Thanks to all of you who have contacted me directly to encourage me. Although my posts have been fewer and farther between as the weeks have gone by, that doesn’t mean that I am not thinking of everyone. The rest of the week looks pretty good. I have done my reading for tomorrow and Contracts reading for Friday. I would like to get an early start on my reading for Monday, but my class outlines need to be completed. The weekend looks to be a lot of fun (well, a small part of it anyway). After class on Friday, I intend to get a lot of my reading for Monday done. I am then going to dinner with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. On Saturday, I will be at the library during the day and attending a party in the evening. On Sunday, the day will be spent in the library, but that is all right as I have more than enough work to do. After last weekend, I intend to take advantage of all of the weekends to come.

The only bummer is that I have not been to the movies in 3 months. I think that the last movie that I saw was the Wedding Crashers. Serenity, The Constant Gardner, and a History of Violence have all come and gone, but I have not watched them. With the new Harry Potter film, the Chronicles of Narnia, the second Underworld film, and Walk the Line (the Johnny Cash biopic that is on my list of movies to see) all coming out within the next couple of months, I intend to take advantage of my student discount and catch up at the movies during the holidays.

Well, it’s 11:30 now and I still have some work to do. It never ends!

No comments: