Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I'm back!

Well, it has been an eventful few days! It all started on Friday. As you might recall, I was on call for Torts last Friday. When the professor called on me, I nailed it! I was pretty happy about knowing the case and having the professor let me go on with no corrections. The high lasted until Contracts class. Halfway through the class, the professor called on me for the first time, and I tanked. I was horrible. I might have felt better had I not known the answer, but I knew the answer. I just froze like a deer in headlights. My friends tried to make me feel better, but I just wanted another chance.

One of the nice things about law school is the anonymous grading policy. This way, students can interact with professors without having it influence your grades. After tanking in class, I sent the professor an e-mail apologizing for my performance and my desire to have another chance. I have a feeling that my contracts professor takes it as a personal failure if we fail her, and she is my favorite professor. But first, there was the weekend.

On Saturday, my roommate and I had some friends come over for a night of relaxation. We even ended up having a live band, as one of my classmates is a fiddler in a bluegrass band here in Chicago. He and the band came over after finishing their gigs, and they set up in my living room. They were awesome, and everyone at the party enjoyed it. Morning came too soon, and Eric and I set about cleaning the apartment. I ended up finishing up my Civil Procedure work for Monday and enjoyed a pretty good football game in the evening.

With Monday came the dawning of the new week. In Con Law, Professor Roberts called on me (again!), and I did all right. In Civil Procedure, we were studying about how jurisdiction is assigned among the states. I was just ready to get started on the afternoon’s work. I finally got home at 9 PM and finished work at 11 PM. Tuesday arrived with Torts and Contracts. In Contracts, I figured the professor would not call on me, as she hardly ever calls on the same people 2 days in a row. She ended up calling on me, and this time I didn’t freeze. Furthermore, she was very encouraging. Even though she never responded to my e-mail, I think that she appreciated my efforts. It has been a very long time since I had a professor who has challenged me as much as my Contracts professor, but I know that I am getting an excellent education in the theories of contracts because of it.

The rest of the week looks to be pretty relaxed. I will start work on my outlines tomorrow, as there is no project due in legal writing (yes!).

No comments: