Sunday, April 12, 2009

Growing up at the age of 37

As a career student, my own maturation, I believe, was severely hindered by being constantly surrounded by people who were, similarly, not mature. At the same time, many of my own habits and such remained unchanged since I was a pre-teen. This meant the collecting of nerds stuff (comics, toys, etc). I realized early on that I had a bit of a pack rat syndrome. I purchased SO MUCH junk over the years and always kept everything in their original packaging because that way, they would retain their value.

Remember Steve Carrell's character Andy from "The 40 Year Old Virgin?" Ummm....yeah....

After I started working at the firm, my work hours started taking over. My monthly comics shipment sat unread, and after three months, I realized that, FINALLY, I had outgrown this one aspect of my childhood. I canceled my monthly comics subscription. I soon noticed that I did not miss it. I also noticed that my own personal tastes for furnishings and such was developing to the point where I want to decorate my place in a tasteful, yet manly, way. However, in order to do that, there was also the rest of my collecting bug that needed to be kicked to the curb. I want to have a nice place, buy nicer clothes for work, and finally get a newer car. Those obsessions have replaced my childhood ones, and just as I used to get excited about a new toy or some other such nonsense, I find myself looking forward to getting deals on a Hugo Boss suit (this is a shout out to the impeccably dressed Namby Pamby) or a good deal on an off-lease car. This car:


My own interests in things of my childhood (FINALLY) are waning, and at the ripe age of 37, I find myself entertaining a brave new world of shopping as a grown up. I recognize that I still like toys, but the toys (clothes, car, etc.) are bigger and demand that I save up for them. While I recognize that I am giving up the instant gratification of a toy or comic, I recognize that there are bigger things to be concerned with. I want to save for retirement. I want to save in case I get fired. I want to get nicer things but not be in debt. I need to pay my student loan payments.

When did I become a responsible adult, anyway?

Oh right...the minute I saw my brother's new S5. Yup...that will do it every time...

No comments: