Thursday, March 19, 2009

Like the Finer Things Club, but Better

Last night was the first meeting of the Wednesday Night Club. In attendance were Daisy, PAG, the Alleged Lady, the Namby Pamby, and the Wayward Esquire. There will be many funny stories (I am sure) recounted in the blogs of my fellow bloggers, but this one story that I will recount requires a little background first.

Background Part I: The Esquire, Daisy, PAG and I attended the wedding of a friend of ours in the mecca of Rockford, IL last September. At the reception, our table was the most boisterous thanks to some hi jinks on the part of myself and the Esquire. Right as our 12 year-old level humor was cracking up the entire table (except for PAG and Daisy, who looked on in embarrassment), a gentleman named "Mr. Wizard" took center stage. He was a children's entertainer and told the story of the courtship of the wedded couple through a fairy tale complete with..props...Mr. Wizard proceed to tell the story of a man looking for a furry animal in the dense forest-and that was merely the first of many double entendres and phallic shaped instantly inflated balloon props that sent our table (already laughing over other things) over the edge. Our friends, the bride and groom, watched Mr. Wizard in stunned silence, but I must say it was the best entertainment I have ever witnessed at a wedding. I am still laughing at the memory as I type this.

Background Part II: When we gathered at the watering hole last night, Daisy joked that her mother had asked if her VERY SOUTHERN and old fashioned grandmother would be..OK...with me attending the wedding. You know, 'cause I am an Indian and all of that. We both laughed a little at that because Daisy has told her grandmother about me, and between my love of the novel "Chiefs" as well as through other things, I know that her grandmother would be fine with me (something that did not stop the Alleged Lady from wickedly suggesting that she and I share a deep and soulful interracial kiss right in front of Grandma Duke). Still, I took it for what it was-Daisy and I laughing about me not being allowed to enter the grounds because of my color. I joked that I could maybe park cars and that I might make some good tip money if people mistake me for a member of the wait staff.

Now we come to why you needed the background. As we were all discussing the wedding, I joked to Daisy "maybe you should invite Mr. Wizard." Predictably, Daisy, PAG, the Esquire, and myself started chortling as we all remembered the experience at the last wedding. UNPREDICTABLY, the largest laugh at my suggestion came from the Namby Pamby. As he recovered from his laughter, doubled over and all, I waited until he caught his breath.

Artful: "Wait, do you know the story of the wedding where there was that kids' entertainer Mr. Wizard?"

Namby: "Oh no! I thought you were suggesting that Daisy invite the KKK Wizard-you know, with it being the South and all."

Cue renewed laughter on all sides at the images of TWO visions in white at Daisy's wedding and a renewed discussion of the merits of "Blazing Saddles."

No comments: