Friday, March 06, 2009

Thank You! Come Again!

Note: I love reading the Namby Pamby's call logs so much that I thought I would steal his idea and recount one of my own.

The phone rings in the Artful's office.

Artful: "Hello?"

Caller: "Is this Mr. Blogger?"

Artful (already irritated because, by the sound of the thick Indian accent on the other end, he knows what is coming): "Actually, it's DR. Blogger."

Caller: "Mr. Blogger (seriously??), I am calling from (generic Indian IP company) to tell you that we do a lot of consulting work for IP. We were wondering if you wanted to outsource your work to us."

Side note. I have been a bit worried as of late, for patent prosecution for biotech in our firm has nosedived within the last few months. I am on a lot of litigations, but still..what is going on? Now I have this Indian joker trying to take MORE work away in THIS economy? Riiiiight....

Back to the call...

Blogger: " I am a freaking first year associate. I have no power when it comes to making these decisions. "

Caller: "Mr. Blogger (again, really?), could you tell me who, in your firm, does have the power to make these decisions?"

Blogger (extremely irritated at this point): "No, and in the future, might I suggest that you pay more attention to whom you are calling? Dr. Blogger is now hanging up the phone. Thank you. Come again."

This was the 4th such call I have received recently. The only thing that I can figure is that the Indian patent firms think they have an "in" with my firm just because I am Indian. Sorry, it does not work that way. I was more pissed off than anything. I mean, why would you try to take my work away from me?

AND???? I know that it is pissy and snooty of me, but professionally, I am Dr. Blogger (though sometimes friends call me that just to poke fun and I feel embarrassed). If you are trying to get business, use the proper titles and let the other person tell you that the titles are unnecessary.

Yes, I really did say "Thank you, come again." And yes, I slipped into the heaviest Indian accent I could muster.

On second thought, maybe I should not have invited them to "come again." Crap...more calls are headed my way, aren't they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will now refer to you only as "Dr. Blogger," despite our first-name-basis friendship. :)

Perhaps a better response would have been, "Y'all come back now, y'hear?"

Anonymous said...

Why yes, I will be calling you Doctor from now on.