Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Should Sam's Club guard the parking lot?

Well, it’s Wednesday morning. I only have 2 more days for the weekend, and I am glad. The usual tiredness starts to creep in on Wednesdays, but at least I have done all of my reading for Friday’s Torts class. I just have to worry about Civil Procedure and Contracts for the rest of week.

Torts was up first on Tuesday, and we continued our discussion of the duty owed by landowners to people on their land. We covered an interesting case where a woman was robbed in a Sam’s Club parking lot and lost $18,000 worth of jewelry. The robber had hidden beneath her car. This was in the middle of the afternoon in a neighborhood not known for crime. She ended up suing Sam’s Club for negligence in performing their duty to watch out for her! The court recognized that for Sam’s to watch over their entire massive parking lot where there had not been any crime in over 10 years was a little to much to ask, and I agree with them. While I recognize the importance of being safe when shopping, I would only expect there to be a duty when I am in the actual store, not when I am in the parking lot. I am sure that some of you may disagree with this line of reasoning, but I see it as the job of the police to make sure that the parking lots are safe.

Over lunch, my study group and I met to continue outlining Constitutional Law. I am feeling better about my handle on the material. With the beginning of October looming, I have targeted the first week for outlining each of my classes for September. During lunch, I was also able to get some of my legal writing finished. I flipped through Contracts and it was then off to Contracts class.

In Contracts, we continued the discussion of moral obligation as the basis of a valid contract where there is no contract. Prior to this class, I had assumed that there is a lot of difficulty in enforcing any contract that is not written, and to some degree, this is true. I have been relieved to discover that there are some remedies at law for contract disputes. After Contracts, I headed home and went grocery shopping. I then studied for a few hours, finishing up Con Law for today. I worked a little more on my legal writing assignment and headed to the gym for a quick workout. My life at this point isn’t terribly exciting, but I suppose this is a good thing. It helps keep my focus.

No comments: