Sunday, September 18, 2005

Three days worth of activity...sort of...

Well, the week is over. It is hard to believe that I have been in law school for a full month now. It is starting to wear on me a little bit. There is always so much reading to do. I also haven’t focused on anything else outside of my classes. In some ways, I guess this is a good thing, but in other ways it is not so good. I realize that I need to learn how to turn my brain off on occasion, and I have never been able to do that. Even when I was on vacation with my other company, I would check work e-mails while I was on vacation. I think that there is a lot to be said for my father’s advice to learn how to meditate and relax. If I can learn how to do it during the turbulent first year of law school, I think that it will be a skill that will serve me well in the future.

Torts was the first class today, and Professor Weber has started the section on the ordinary duty of citizens as it relates to tort liability. The line of reasoning posed suggests that everyone has an obligation to help those in need as long as we ourselves are not in harm’s way. Furthermore, physicians who try to help are immune from liability under the Good Samaritan laws in many states. These are things that I never used to stop and ponder. For there to be a law guarding physicians means that someone somewhere sued the doctor who saved his life! What a world we live in….

Contracts was after lunch, and I was on the ball and ready. I wasn’t called on, but the extra effort that I have been putting into my contracts reading is finally starting to pay off. I hung out with some friends on Friday night and watched “Fight Club”. Saturday morning came too soon. I went to the grocery store and bought things for the week. I came home and baked chocolate chip cookies. It was the first time I had baked in the new place, and my Saturday afternoon study group seemed to like the results. Over coffee, bagels, and cookies, we outlined our Civil Procedure class. I was extremely tired at that point. I think that your brain only has so much capacity for concentration, and I know that I will be testing the limits of that capacity this year.

Sunday arrived, and with it came brunch with my brother at the Original Pancake House. Now, here is a headscratcher. On the back of the menu, there were locations listed for over 50 Original Pancake House franchises. How can the restaurant claim to be “the Original” when there are over 50? I intend to find out which one of the 50 is the original. Everyone needs a hobby! As soon as I came back to the apartment (well, after my brother and I hung out for a while), I got straight to work on the reading for the week. I started at 11 and ended at 6 PM. That was not a typo. After that, I went to the gym, and now I am typing this. I hope those of you who like reading this were not too disappointed in not seeing a post, but my life is not extremely exciting right now. Stay tuned, though, because that can always change….

No comments: