Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Kids are Stupid

When I was young, I used to revel in the wonder that was winter. I looked forward to snow days, building snowmen in the yard with my parents, and that wonderful sensation of feeling bitterly cold while outside and then walking into the warmth of the heated kitchen, a cup of hot chocolate waiting for me on the table. My brother and I would get into snowball fights and try to maneuver our 10-speeds (God I am old) through the thick snow (1"-hey, we were in Southern VA) that covered our little cul-de-sac. Winters were great, I thought. So different from the bugs and mugginess of summer. I loved being able to "see my breath" because I could pretend I was smoking with none of the unhealthy aftereffects.

This morning, it took me 10 minutes to yank open my car door (frozen). I then had to put the car into first gear (manually) because of the ice under the car that had accumulated, and I still ended up rocking the car free for about 5 minutes. The interior windows of my car were crisscrossed with ice lines, and my interior did not warm up until I reached work, at which point I had to exit the car into subzero windchills. As I waited to cross the street, with the icy wind chilling me to the bone, I "saw my breath" and was reminded of happier times when, as a child, I thought winter was awesome!

Kids are stupid.

2 comments:

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Brr. I am cold.

K said...

Winter is only worthwhile if you are near mountains with ski lifts.