Friday, August 19, 2005

A Day of Rest....NOT!!!

For my first night in a new apartment, I slept pretty well. I guess I can attribute that to the number of nights I spent away from home while in the employ of Bio-Rad. At last count, this year I had spent around 51 nights away from home by the end of July alone. When you travel as much as I had to, you get used to sleeping in hotel beds pretty quickly. I once joked to my Dad that when I arrived home for a visit, I half expected to have my miniature soap all wrapped up ready for me to use. I think that staying put will take some getting used to.

So, where was I? Oh, yes. So I hopped out of bed (well, dragged myself anyway) and went downstairs to have some food. Today was a training day with David, my trainer at the gym. I have learned to always have food on board before I train (especially when I train with David!). I gave myself a couple of hours and finished watching "Friday Night Lights", the movie based on one of my favorite books. If you have only seen the movie and not read this classic exploration of high school football in small town America, I highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, if you have not read it, you should stop reading this blog and go out and pick up the book. After I finished the movie, I made my way to the gym. There were not too many people in the gym, and I immediately went to warm up before meeting David.

I like working out with David (and I am not just saying this because he might be reading this). David is one of the first trainers I have worked with who listens to me and is working towards the same goal as I am. Of course, I think he gets a little too much enjoyment out of punishing me. I always learn a lot when I work out with David, and today was no exception. In the past, I had kept the pretty same routine. Like everything else in life, however, you run the risk of getting used to a workout routine, and the routine that used to keep you fit will no longer cut it. Enter David. He has introduced me to a number of different workout techniques and philosophies. We also crack wise about pro football and the world in general. Today, David took me through a chest workout from heck. On days that I lift with David, I don't have any energy for cardio, so after an hour, I was done.

I called Comcast to see what was up with my appointment. They said that they would get back to me in 20 minutes, so I decided to get some food for lunch and to go home. I called Comcast after an hour had gone by, and they informed me that someone would be out by 8 PM (!) Resigned to another day of waiting, I did some more unpacking and read a book on transitioning from college to law school. I found it extremely informative and feel a lot better about starting to break down cases into briefs this weekend. I was going to take a midday nap when I was jolted from my slumber by a call from.....da daaa! Comcast! They would be here in 20 minutes. Sure enough, 2 workers showed up and had me hooked up in no time. I spent the late afternoon setting up the high speed accounts and configuring my wireless router. You guessed it...I am writing this entry while hooked up to my wireless router!!! Success!

Tomorrow will be an interesting day. I have to wake up at 6 AM and get to Oak Park to pick up some furniture for the new place (thank you, bro!). I hope to get done well before noon, as the Air and Water Show will be going on in Chicago, and the roads will be packed. Following the morning activities, I plan to spend some time in my office and work out. I might head out for a while with Eric, but I hope that I can rest a little bit on Sunday. I am definitely coming down with a minor sore throat. When it rains......

No comments: