Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Rib day

This week is going by much faster than last week! Today was pretty routine. I woke up early and got ready for work. When I came downstairs, I took out some ribs for dinner. There are 2 schools of thought on how to tenderize ribs before the final cooking: (1) Boiling them and (2) slow baking them. Of course, purists will argue that a third school is the best (slow cooking the ribs in a smoker), but smokers here are few and far between. The method for rib preparation was introduced to my best friend Aaron and myself by our pastor in Baltimore. Of course, Aaron perfected the technique over the many months that I lived with him and his wife Julie in Baltimore, and I have carried the technique to Chicago. It has met with great acclaim and success here. I put the 5 pounds of ribs in to cook all day (very low heat).
I then went on my merry way to work...er...school. Torts was first, and the professor was as entertaining as ever. Lunch was with Justin and Steve at the Chipotle across the street from the school, and I then made my way to the library to start on my reading for tomorrow’s Constitutional Process class. I also reviewed the cases for Contracts. Contracts, as I have mentioned before, is now my favorite class. The professor challenges me in a way that is new, scary and somewhat invigorating. No matter how well I think I have prepared for her class, this never seems to be the case when I set foot in the class. She asks questions that I have never anticipated and makes me think long and hard on the meaning of every sentence from our casebook. I want to do well in her class not just for the grade but because she deserves my best efforts. Hands down, she has to be the best teacher I have ever had.
Immediately after class, I went to the library and spent 3 more hours doing work until heading home. As soon as I came through the door, I started up with the ribs. The grill was lit, and the ribs were coated with….no, I won’t share this without getting the OK from Aaron. After all, it is his magic that made them so good and it is his secret to share. Some friends came over for dinner, and after we finished eating, I excused myself to tackle Civil Procedure reading while everyone else stayed downstairs and talked. Thankfully, Eric cleaned everything up. All in all, it wasn’t an out of the ordinary day, but I am still looking forward to the time when the synthesis of the material will begin.
That’s all for now. Wednesday beckons!

No comments: