Thursday, August 18, 2005

Orientation or dis-orientation?

Day 2 of law school started a little later than I thought...7:30. I rolled out of bed and had a quick workout and quick breakfast before hopping on the "L" to the Law School (yes, I showered first!!). The first class of the day was legal writing. Now remember that I was stressing over the missing books from the reading list. It turns out that they were just recommended reading (whew). I can catch up on it from the library copies. I am planning on getting acquainted with the library this weekend. Anyway, the legal writing class was a blast. I learned how to brief a case. It looks like something that I will have to practice over and over again, but I am looking forward to it. For those of you who might not be familiar with case briefings, think back to those reading comprehension sections on your achievement tests/MCATs/LSATs, etc. This is exactly what briefing a case is like. Our first assignment is to brief a case, and I am actually excited aboutit! We have a pretty good professor, so I am looking forward to the rest of the semester. The only downside to the class so far has been the "eager beavers". I am all for class participation and discussion, but most of their questions took us pretty far off course. It was like people were jockeying to be noticed. I made a mental note to only speak when I can add something to the discussion or when called upon. I intend to be ready for my 2 classes on Monday.

Following an information session on Bar admission (where I found out that I will be put through more scrutiny than if I were applying to the NSA) and lunch (Potbelly's, the best subs on the PLANET!!), we had 2 afternoon sessions. The first was on lawyering skills, presented by Dean Rubin. Professor Rubin was a very dynamic speaker who teaches Criminal Trial Law at DePaul. He was great! He almost made me want to try my hand as a criminal defense or prosecuting attorney. I really like him and hope to have him as a professor in the future. The final session was on study skills, and this was more interesting than I thought it would be. There are so many things at our disposal fo studying that it is difficult trying to figure out what to use. The professor gave us some good ideas (study groups, hornbooks, published outlines, case notes, etc) and then we were done. I was exhausted. I skipped the welcome party to get home and do some packing. I am moving tomorrow morning, and I think that I am very close to being ready. I just want the move to be over. I am looking forward to unpacking and setting up tomorrow. Hopefully, my high speed internet connection will be up tomorrow and I will be able to update you all on how the move went.

No comments: