Thursday, August 18, 2005

Moving day

So after the high stress of starting school the last 2 days, I got to enjoy the relative low stress (Ha!) of moving to my new place today. As I mentioned in previous posts, I am always amazed by how much I have stored while living in a studio. I have come to the conclusion that most of the boxes contained old bills, check stubs, credit card receipts, etc. These are things that I don't want to part with because of the danger of identity theft. Now I know that you might be thinking "but Artful, that is why they make paper shredders". I happen to own a paper shredder. The darned thing is the size of a small elementary school trashcan (you remember those...the ones that come up to your knees and quickly fill with the snotrags of toddlers...but I digress..). The result of having such a small wastebin is that it fills rather rapidly with the volume of receipts, credit card offers, etc that I get on a daily basis. THis has made me lazy with regard to my shredding, resulting in a small forest being stored in tiny pieces within several large (and heavy) boxes. I know that one day, I will spend an afternoon looking through all of the boxes and shredding, but not today. Today I have to move!

So, the movers arrived at 8:30 AM. They worked rather quickly and were done by 1 PM, which is a very good thing because I had to take my brother to the airport (another long story for another time). The place is still a shambles, but I have been picking my way through the mess. At least I was able to set up my office space, the most important part as I will be spending most of Saturday and Sunday preparing for the week's law classes. I am excited about my study space. It is entirely geared towards scholarly endeavors (i.e., no TV or video games to distract me, and the desk faces the wall instead of the window (no daydreaming while watching the world go by). I am ready to get started. I also spent most of the afternoon and evening waiting for the high-speed internet installer who never showed. Now, I can understand if the installer was busy. I had an appointment for between 3 and 5 pm. What I do not understand is that it is now 10:07 and I haven't heard from Comcast. I have called them several times and have spoken to their customer service representatives(who is already having a heck of a week with the scandal in Chicago-if you are curious, go to the Chicago Tribune website), but no one could give me an answer as to when they would show up. In the meantime, I waited here the entire day. ARRRGH!!!!

At least I had my unpacking to keep me busy. I am slowly beginning to realize that the electrical costs for this place will be pretty high. For this reason, I think that I will invest in a window air conditioning unit for my bedroom. If I kept the central air on constantly, I can see electric bills of $400 + dollars in my future.

Tomorrow will be a little more relaxing. I will go to the gym and then wait all day for the electric company to read the meter. Eric, my new roommate, is having the electricity billed to him and I am having the Comcast services billed to me. We will then split the difference so that we are paying the same amount. It is a good arrangement.

Well, it's late, and I am hot and tired. I am going to hit the showers and go to bed. Tomorrow it begins again!

No comments: